Friday, May 15, 2009

I AM Indeed The Devil Incarnate

It has been 26 days since my holidays have commenced and I am most happy to announce that I have made exactly 0% progress with my studying for the vast mulititude of entrance examinations. It is most difficult, and I have reason to believe that my books have been spooked with a spell of some sort because everytime I open my books, I have this incredible urge to fall asleep, which I do, invariably, hence the progress. Or the lack of it.
I don't believe its my fault. Its just that there are so many distractions. Take for instance, yesterday night. My mother had caught me sleeping on my desk that very evening. She suggested that instead of studying in my room, I could study in the balcony, where I'd get some fresh air as well.
Clearly, this was one of my mother's very intelligent plans. The balcony would be airy no doubt, but it would also be home to mutant mosquitoes.
[weird trivia alert] Hey dont jump to a concclusion here...mutant does not refer to the X-Men thingy...I say mutant because they are much like the locusts who had mutated in order to accomodate DDT in their DNA, hence making them immune to it, these mutant mosquitoes have mosquito spray/repellant accomodated in their DNA(Darwin's Theory of Evolution...sigh..) [weird trivia alert]
This meant that spraying HIT (now kills cockraches!) would pretty much be in vain, and I had to be extra alert in order to ward them off and thus the chances of me sleeping on my "Thousand MCQs to Success" (sigh...these textbooks DO have funny names) textbook would be pretty neglible.


So I went.

The balcony gives a straight view of the road, which meant I could people watch while I swatted mosquitoes. Right across my house, there is Krishna's Iron Vandi [cart], painted in a royal shade of blue. Krishna usually leaves at around 7.30 in the evening, so I didn't expect any kind of movement there at 8.30, which was the time I went to squat, I mean study there.


But I was wrong.


While I was flipping the pages, trying to figure out the head and tail of a realli complicated question, I saw a leg, right outside the little iron van. I cocked my head a bit and my instincts were right. There was a body attached the leg. I got up in the pretext of reading my textbook and then casually glanced that way again. Male, 20ish. He had one hand to his cheek and a rather wide grin on his face. Probably on a call with his girlfriend, I thought. But what I didn't understand was why he kept moving behind the van and coming out. I moved to the corner for a closer look and behold, hidden behind the van was a girl. A girl, with a grin on her face. And half her saree missing.
They were, as the immortal Bappi-da put it, louwers. Night Louwers.


Clearly, the spot behind the van was most convenient for their louwings. It was at a good distance from the streetlight and not easily notice-able unless ofcourse you were blessed with my observation skills.


"AMMA!" I hollered.


The effect was almost immediate. The guy almost jumped away and the girl was trying to adjust her clothes and jump out at the same time. Then they looked around in a most amusingly frantic manner before walking (almost running) away from the iron vandi.
My mother came in to the balcony.
"Enna aachu?" [What happened?]
"Nothing ma. Ennakku coffee venum" [Nothing ma. I want a coffee]

Ah, the simple joys in life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lol....funny! Well written and damn...u've got damn observation skills..well..U know what?? People usually tend to let their eyes wander to anything around except their books if asked to *stardy* in balcony.

Padika sonna enna vela panra ni..???